Halton Hills and North Halton newspapers
Driving 101 Part 7: Reporting motor vehicle collisions
Independent & Free Press (Georgetown, ON), 12 Jan 2007, p. 13

Full Text

When should you report a motor vehicle collision to your police service? If you are involved in a motor vehicle collision in either the Town of Halton Hills, Milton, Oakville, or the City of Burlington, the collision will fall under the jurisdiction of the Halton Regional Police Service. If the collision occurred in another town or municipality, you must report the collision to its respective police service. There are two types of collision, reportable and non-reportable. In the event of either type of collision, the Ontario Highway Traffic Act requires EVERY person directly or indirectly involved in the accident to: · Remain or immediately return to the scene of the accident, · Render all possible assistance, · Give in writing your name, address, drivers licence number, insurance policy number, the name and address of the vehicles registered owner, and the vehicle permit number, or licence plate, · If the damage is apparently in excess of $1,000 (damage ONLY, not the labour included in the cost of repairs) you must report the accident FORTHWITH to the nearest police officer. Forthwith is defined as "without delay or hesitation; with no time intervening." A police officer who receives a report of a motor vehicle collision where the property damage is in excess of $1,000 must prepare a written report, which is then forwarded to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles, NOT to your insurance company. Your requirement to report a motor vehicle collision is the same on private property as it is on a road-way. If you choose to ignore hitting that car in the mall parking lot, or drive off leaving injured persons to tend to themselves, or refuse to provide your name and address to any victim of personal injury or property damage, your actions could result in a Criminal Code investigation and charges. The bottom line, if you are involved in a motor vehicle collision, exchange information with the other person(s), and report it forthwith to police if the damage is apparently in excess of $1,000. DO NOT wait to report an accident at the direction of your insurance company. It is your decision if you want to notify your insurance or not. If you try to work out your own agreement with regards to payment for damages with the other person(s) who later refuse to pay, this also is not the time to report the accident to police. Recovery of losses or damages is between you, the other person(s) and/or your respective insurance companies. Contact me personally for crime prevention tips at 905-878-5511 extension 2470, or by e-mailing chris.borak@hrps.on.ca. Please reserve the 911 system for emergency calls only. Constable Borak is the Halton Regional Police Service community support officer for District 1

Borak, Const. Chris
Media Type:
Item Types:
Date of Publication:
12 Jan 2007
Personal Name(s):
Borak, Const. Chris
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Halton Hills Public Library
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Driving 101 Part 7: Reporting motor vehicle collisions