Halton Hills and North Halton newspapers
Unsafe cooking habits result in three fires
Independent & Free Press (Georgetown, ON), 12 Jan 2007, p. 8

Full Text

Halton Hills Fire Protection and Prevention Services staff is concerned about three incidents of unattended cooking last week that could have resulted in serious injuries and extensive damage. During an incident Sunday evening, an unattended pot of oil on the stove caused $50,000 damage to a Barber Dr., Georgetown home causing the family to have to temporarily relocate while the damage is repaired. In an incident at a Mill St., Acton apartment Saturday afternoon, some furniture and areas of the floor were burned when a tenant in the apartment attempted to carry a pot of hot oil from the stove to the window so he could throw it into the parking lot. The third incident occurred when a pot on the stove boiled dry causing a smoke alarm to activate in a Harley Ave. home Sunday evening. "These fires could have escalated in such a short period of time causing insurmountable damages to the homes, not to mention the burns the one occupant could have suffered while carrying the pot of burning oil," said Chief of Operations John Martin. He said fire department staff is struggling to understand why these three incidents occurred over the two days. "So much emphasis is placed on kitchen safety fires as they continue to be one of the three leading causes of fires in the home," said Chief of Prevention and Public Education Harry Olivieri. "The fire service is constantly promoting safe cooking themes as we know they are preventable fires."

Media Type:
Item Types:
Date of Publication:
12 Jan 2007
Personal Name(s):
Olivieri, Harry ; Martin, John
Corporate Name(s):
Halton Hills Fire Protection and Prevention Services
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Halton Hills Public Library
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Unsafe cooking habits result in three fires