Halton Hills and North Halton newspapers
Editorial: don't get burned
Publication:
Independent & Free Press (Georgetown, ON), 13 Dec 2006, p. 6


Description
Full Text

With the fast-paced lifestyle many of us lead, forgetfulness and fatigue can be a deadly combination that can turn special times into tragedies. This is especially true during the holiday season, when many people find themselves burning the proverbial candle at both ends in preparation for sharing some quality time with family and friends. Ontario's Fire Marshal Patrick Burke is asking residents to be extra diligent over the holidays to avoid becoming the victim of a momentary distraction or memory lapse. Between Nov. 1, 2005 and Jan. 31, 2006, 24 Ontarians lost their lives in preventable house fires. Burke emphasized how misused and forgotten candles are one of the most common causes of house fires at this time of the year. Other contributors to holiday celebrations going up in smoke include improperly used space heaters, pots left unattended and careless smoking. "People need to pay attention to potential fire hazards in their homes," Burke said. Simple tips that could save your home -- and your life-- include: · never leaving pots unattended while cooking; · smothering pot fires with lids and turning off stove burners rather than attempting to remove an ignited pot from a stove; · never removing batteries from smoke alarms that have activated while you're cooking; instead relocate the smoke alarm or purchase an alarm with a `hush' feature; · always placing lit candles in sturdy candleholders with glass shades and displaying them away from children, pets and any combustible items; · keep matches and lighters out of children's reach; · drink responsibly and keep a close watch of others who do not, since alcohol consumption is a contributing factor in many residential fires. The fire marshal reminds us that more than 90 per cent of residential fires are preventable. By paying more attention to how we celebrate the season, we can all avoid becoming the next holiday fire statistic.


Media Type:
Newspaper
Item Types:
Articles
Clippings
Drawings
Date of Publication:
13 Dec 2006
Subject(s):
Local identifier:
Halton.News.217652
Language of Item:
English
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Contact
Halton Hills Public Library
Email
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Editorial: don't get burned