Halton Hills and North Halton newspapers
Local family `lucky to be alive' after fire
Publication:
Independent & Free Press (Georgetown, ON), 17 Nov 2006, p. 5


Description
Full Text

Halton Hills firefighters were called to a John St. house Friday (Nov. 10) morning after a resident of the building noticed smoke coming from the heat vents in her apartment. Firefighters found the building filled with heavy smoke but the fire had already been extinguished by the superintendent who had evacuated the building prior to firefighters arriving. All three residents of the apartment were treated at the scene by Halton Region paramedics who transported them to hospital for smoke inhalation. A fire department spokesperson said it is suspected a toddler playing with a lighter started the blaze, and due to the quick reaction of a neighbour and the building's superintendent the family avoided tragedy. "This young family is lucky to be alive; the apartment was not equipped with a working smoke alarm," said Chief of Fire Prevention and Public Education Harry Olivieri. He stressed that all single family, semidetached homes and townhomes, whether owneroccupied or rented, are required by law to have working smoke alarms on every floor as well as outside all sleeping areas of every home. The fire caused minimal damage and minimal dollar loss.


Media Type:
Newspaper
Item Types:
Articles
Clippings
Date of Publication:
17 Nov 2006
Subject(s):
Personal Name(s):
Olivieri, Harry
Corporate Name(s):
Halton Region
Local identifier:
Halton.News.215205
Language of Item:
English
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Contact
Halton Hills Public Library
Email
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Local family `lucky to be alive' after fire