Today's photo is from Dave and Gerry's trip to the Ontario Food Terminal many weeks ago.
We've had many people comment on the Food Terminal visit and thought you might like to see a photo. What you see here are simply the displays so that as a buyer, you know what you are getting, but this does not even begin to touch on the quantities that are purchased-- skids stacked twice your height with cases and cases of every kind of fruit and vegetable from every corner of the world. Now that is fascinating!
The recipe today is for a simple, inexpensive weeknight supper. Everyone loves a casserole and the cook in the family loves quick meals. You can change up this recipe a hundred ways to make it different:
* try cream of mushroom soup instead
* add some cooked macaroni noodles or egg noodles to the dish
* add some grated cheese on top of any type
* add chopped red peppers. Saut? them first in a bit of oil and salt, pepper
* add a layer of saut?ed mushrooms
* add a can of corn-- drain it first
* try cream of broccoli soup and add some small flowerettes of broccoli
* try chopping the potatoes instead of slicing them for more of a hash-type consistency
* use ground pork, lamb or turkey for a different flavour
* add chunks of leftover roast beef, lamb or pork as well to make it more substantial
* add a can of diced tomatoes, drained
Forgive the short story this week, but we wanted to fit in the photo. Have fun and keep cooking!
(Lori and Gerry can be reached at