Halton Hills and North Halton newspapers
Charge against officer withdrawn
Independent & Free Press (Georgetown, ON), 1 Sep 2006, p. 3

Full Text

An assault charge against a Halton Police officer was withdrawn recently, and instead the officer was disciplined under the Police Services Act. The charge was laid against Const. Carson Henderson in January in connection with an incident that occurred when a 31-year-old Brampton man was taken into custody in Halton Hills on criminal charges September 27, 2005. The charge against Henderson was withdrawn at the request of the Crown attorney based on an agreement that the matter would be addressed under the discipline procedures of the Police Services Act, said a Halton Police spokesperson. Henderson appeared before a Police Services Act hearing officer last month and pled guilty to one count of unnecessary use of force. He received a penalty of the forfeiture of 100 hours of his time off, valued at approximately $3,000. At the time of the charge, Halton Police would not release specific details about the incident but said the victim received minor injuries and did not require medical attention. "It did not occur in a police facility," said Halton Police Public Affairs Officer Jeff Corey. "There were a number of witnesses to the incident." Corey said at the time that police lay a "significant number" of assault charges each year that aren't released to the media, and they would not have released this incident, except for the fact it involved a police officer.

Media Type:
Item Types:
Date of Publication:
1 Sep 2006
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Halton Hills Public Library
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Charge against officer withdrawn